Team Lead, Principal Architect, and Tech Lead at Survey Monkey. Focused on building strong Engineering teams, designing platforms, and leading development of their Python based WebApps and APIs.
- Based in Oakland, CA, and willing to work in multiple locations.
- San Francisco Bay Area - San Francisco, South Bay, East Bay, Peninsula, North Bay
- Currently working as Team Lead and Principal Architect at Survey Monkey.
- Interested in opportunities at companies in all stages.
WHAT HAVE I ACCOMPLISHED
When I started at my current company, SurveyMonkey, I was brought on to a brand-new and quickly expanding engineering team. Our goal: Rebuild the entire web application from the ground up without interrupting our customer's experience, and adding new, compelling features when we could. In my four years there I have:
- Tackled an entire web site redesign and revamp while helping to launch our internationalization campaigns, all while improving our global load times.
We went from this:
To what's below in under three weeks with only two engineers:
- With our new team, helped lead the charge into building out our new Python based WebApps and APIs based on an Service Oriented Architecture.
- Designed and implemented an entire PCI compliant billing system.
- Built and maintained a page design system that allowed creation and testing of pricing pages on SM.com
- Took over as Tech lead heading up our efforts to centralize system architecture with a growing ecosystem.
- Managed the migration of libraries, projects, and code bases that previously belonged to me to their new respective teams and provided supported when possible.
- Lead SurveyMonkey's new Enterprise product, designing the database implications through engineering the full stack with a team of 5 full-time players, delivering more features for MVP and before schedule.
I recently have built and have been leading our Enterprise product and Asset Sharing (Library) initiative.
WHERE AM I GOING
Currently I am looking for the next engaging opportunity that will utilize my ability to build strong engineering teams; mentor and lead teams; and work across the stack while designing nimble and scalable systems, whilst creating a baseline which others can build off of. I love being challenged, whether that's building a full-stack solution or tackling learning how to code in C# and build an iOS application.
They say these days that it's the work that keeps you at the company because it's engaging, in my experience it's the people. In my next challenge, I hope to work on a team who is excited about the project they are building because they believe it'll make a difference in someone's world.
HONING THE KNIFE
When I find a few free hours, or a rainy day where I am trapped inside (being from California, I don't like wasting my sunny days), I look at Open Source projects and contribute where I can. At times, I pick a project to learn something new and tackle an area I haven't touched in a while, or had to opportunity to approach in my day job. An example would be working directly with node and webkit. I pulled down the source, started reading through it, and attempted to write features to see how quickly I could engage in the project. Not all of these were successes in terms of contributing, but helped me further understand where the future could lie in the underlying technologies.
- Survey Monkey
- Team Lead and Principal Architect
- } Feb 2010 — Mar 2015
- Senior Software Engineer
- } Mar 2008 — Feb 2010
- Solutions Engineer
- } Aug 2007 — Mar 2008
- Sr. Analyst
- } Jun 2006 — Jul 2007
- Private Contracting
- Owner and founder
- } Jan 1996 — Jan 2001
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- BS, Information Systems & Tech Management
- } 2006